Saturday, August 18, 2007

Gym workouts might be useless


Slaving away in the gym might just be a waste of time for many, for one in every six persons doesn't get any benefit from it in shedding weight or toning the body, as the receptivity to exercise actually lies in our genes, a Louisiana State University study has found. As part of the study Dr Claude Bouchard and colleagues examined the differing effects on 742 sedentary people from a 20-week exercise programme, in which the intensity was gradually increased. The researchers measured ability to process oxygen, ability to pump blood round the body, pulse rate, blood pressure and insulin resistance in the subjects. The study found that 10-15 per cent of volunteers were 'non-responders' to aerobic exercise. In some volunteers the peak rate at which their muscles could process oxygen increased by up to 40 per cent, while in others there this key measure of cardiovascular fitness, known as 'VO2 max' did not improve at all. "Some people simply respond better to exercise. They have lower heart rates, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, better response to insulin and a host of other positive responses. Others who exercise the same amount, simply don't get all the benefits, and it appears to be in the genes," the researchers said. The researchers are now trying to identify which genes are responsible for receptiveness to exercise.

11 Comments:

At August 18, 2007 at 5:46 AM, Blogger Vidya said...

I am going to quote you and not work out at all! :D


Vidya

 
At August 18, 2007 at 2:59 PM, Blogger Nikon said...

Weights toned me up, I think - but I never "bulked up."
Thanks for visiting my site!

 
At August 18, 2007 at 6:06 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Thank you for this! :)

 
At August 19, 2007 at 9:24 AM, Blogger EA Monroe said...

Raghu Ram Prasad, thank you for visiting and commenting. You have good thoughts.

 
At August 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM, Blogger GMG said...

Now, I know why an old Law Professor, who died at the age of 91, always answered, when asked what was his secret for longevity: «never entered a gym...»
Thanks for your visits and comments to Blogtrotter

 
At August 20, 2007 at 12:25 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

Oh my God! I've done exercise for 6 months and I've seen no result. I still have some fat in my belly and in the side of it. Even I'm thin, I have some fat that cannot be drained away easily.

What can I do?

Big greetings and big hugs

Sweet Dreams, from the bottom of my Heart:
Arthur

 
At August 20, 2007 at 12:27 PM, Blogger Gusthav said...

Well, Arthur's thin, with some fat, but finally thin. But I'm really really fat. I've much exercise but I've not lost any gram of weight.

I wanna be thin, fit like a model. Can you help me?

Greetings and hugs

Nice Day, with my whole soul:
Gusthav

 
At August 22, 2007 at 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard of it earlier and now almost proved. Another thing is if you are regularly in the gym, its alright, but as soon as you stop, all the extra muscles simply vanish away slowly. So its not much of a gain there...

 
At August 23, 2007 at 4:42 AM, Blogger Pijush said...

There is no fixed rule; Genes behave in many different ways. Yes if you are talking about finding patterns, it may reveal some mystery.

 
At August 24, 2007 at 7:06 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm agreeing with Vidya. Interesting reading! Thanks for dropping by my blog. Drop by again, won't you? =)

 
At August 24, 2007 at 2:57 PM, Blogger GMG said...

Thanks again for your visits to my blog. I'm taking some holiday, so I'll be absent till mid-September. Meanwhile I leave you in Bali at Blogtrotter. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home